Delta Barrow's Goldeneyes

  • Tom & Kay McConnell
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 26, 2014
      Kay and I headed west this morning.  Barrow’s Goldeneyes are reported often on the Gunnison River at Delta.  None were there two weeks ago when Al Levanton, Dick Filby, and myself visited or on any of my prior visits.  This morning there were twenty or so on the river for a minute and then they all flew upstream and far out of sight.  This probably explains why I have missed seeing them so often.  Confluence had frozen up a lot since we there on the 13th, there still was some open water and thousands of geese still there.  Two Ross’s Geese were with the Snow Geese, two White-fronted (we probably missed some), and at least twenty Cacklers were in the mix.  We saw about 500 Sandhill Cranes from Highway 50 on the way into town.

      After the birding we lined up with a thousand local Broncos fans at the Delta City Market for Broncos/9news window clingies.  Yes we got scored on the clingy thingies as well.

      Tom McConnell
      Glenwood Springs