Northern Pygmy-Owls

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 23, 2014
      Yesterday in route to Grand Junction in the early morning we found two Northern Pygmy-Owls at two locations in Unaweep Canyon. Both locations were near Bob Wilson's bluebird boxes, Box #322 and Box #313.5. The were sitting on the power lines and watching the boxes. I wonder if birds, in winter, use the boxes over night, like chickadees and titmice. Maybe it was just an coincidences but it sure looks as if the owls were checking out those boxes for an easy breakfast.
      Noticed a few other species we don't have around Nucla this winter in Grand Junction; Great Blue Heron, Mourning Doves, Yellow-rumped Warblers, Brewers Blackbirds (crazy but in a parking lot near the mall) and Lesser Goldfinches.
      Good birding,
      Coen and Brenda