Fw: eBird Report - Paradox and Bedrock, Jan 18, 2014

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 18, 2014
      Greetings,
      What does one do in January when the temps head for the mid 50s? For Coen and Brenda the answer is easy! Go birding and that we did. After birding our feeders we headed for Uravan. In route we were treated to another sighting of a river otter close to the Nature Conservancy's property at Uravan. Best bird there was a Canyon Wren. Then on to Paradox and many good birds were found (see list). Best birds were two Lincoln's Sparrow. One was near the Dolores River boat launch with White-crowned Sparrows and a few Song Sparrows. The other LISP was near a small flowing creek in the northern part of Paradox Valley. This Lincoln Sparrow was with Juncos and Song Sparrows. We have never seen LISPs in January and they are considered a casual species in the dead of winter. Two other species worth mentioning in Paradox was a Prairie Falcon and a Loggerhead Shrike. As we were driving away from the boat ramp on the Dolores River we watch a Golden Eagle land about 1000
      feet up on the cliffs above. We took a look with out binocs and were quite surprised to see a desert big horn ram but a few feet away on the same set of cliffs. I don't think they are friends but they showed no fear of each other.
      On the way back to Nucla we decided to take the drive through Naturita. Before we got to town we noticed a Northern Pygmy-Owl next to the road along CO-141. We turned around and Brenda good some quality photos. Last good sight for the day were three Sandhill Cranes just south of Nucla, our resident cranes I presume.
      In total we came up with 44 species in all three locations!
      Coen and Brenda