Fw: eBird Report - Greater Nucla Area, Jan 15, 2014

    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 16, 2014
      Tore myself away from writing species accounts for CBBA II long enough to take a walk with Brenda down Calamity Draw to the San Miguel River. At the river bridge we watched two river otters at play and eating something they were finding under the ice at the edge of the river.
      Best birds today were, a Prairie Falcon in town and a Northern Shrike and a Canyon Wren west of town on the Nucla Cutoff. Prairie Falcons and Northern Shrikes are easy to find this winter as are Ferruginous Hawks in the southwest corner of the state.
      We are missing winter again for the most part with temps in the 40s daily. We need snow and have not had any since early December. Prairie dogs towns are very active this winter and make good food for hawks and eagles.
      Good birding,
      Coen and Brenda