Cassin's Sparrow

    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2006
      Greetings,
      This morning while doing a BBS route in Dry Creek
      Basin Brenda and I had a singing male Cassin's
      Sparrow. The location is 10 miles west of Basin Store
      on U-29 Road. The sparrow was singing where the road
      makes a 90 degrees left turn. At this location the
      road turns from heading north to heading west. The
      sparrow was on the north side of the road about 200
      meters out in sagebrush and grass. Present in the area
      are Brewer's, Vesper, Sage, and Black-throated
      Sparrows. Also present are Horned Larks, Sage
      Thrashers, Mockingbirds, and Western Meadowlarks.
      When we walked in to get closer the Cassin's would
      stop singing and move away from us. Later it would
      sing again but at a distance. We may try to go back
      and get photos if time permits.

      There is not an accepted record of Cassin's Sparrow in
      western Colorado. I do recall that someone reported a
      singing male several years ago but do not remember
      details. Maybe the record was never written up. Do any
      of you recall details?

      Dry Creek Basin is not that different in habitat from
      where the Cassin's are a common sparrow in eastern
      Colorado. Take a look at Sibley's Field Guide to Birds
      of Western North America and look at the range map. It
      appears there are several records to our west and
      north. This suggests to me that we my be overlooking
      this species, at least occasionally.

      Very hot and dry here,
      Coen and Brenda

      http://mail.yahoo.com

        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 7, 2006
          Greetings,
          This morning George Steele and I went to the Cassin's
          Sparrow site 10 miles west of Basin on U-29 Road. We
          were greeted with a singing and skylarking male
          Cassin's. We were able to see the bird several times.
          I was able to train my scope on the bird while it sat
          on a shrub. We attempted to take pictures but don't
          have much hope for a picture as the bird kept its
          distance and kept moving about.

          Note, Someone had Cassin's in Saguache County during
          the Breeding Bird Atlas. In Colorado Birds it is
          stated that there are several undocumented records in
          the San Luis Valley. Observers should be alert for
          this species in that area, and should document any
          observations.
          Another note, The Colorado Breeding Bird Atlas
          suggests that maybe a much as 20% of the total
          Cassin's Sparrow population may breed in Colorado.
          It doesn't seem that surprising that a few Cassin's
          may show up in our area. Rabbit Valley in the west end
          of Mesa County should be a good place to look and
          listen or should I say listen then look.
          Coen

          http://mail.yahoo.com