Lesser Goldfinches

  • Michael Henwood
    Message 1 of 4 , Dec 20, 2013
      Good Morning All,

      If my memory serves me correctly, Lesser Goldfinches were very uncommon or even rare in the winter is these parts 10-15 years ago. I have had two sets of folks (one on Little Park Road and another in the Northridge Subdivision near 1st & Patterson) indicate they have Lesser's at their feeders this winter. I would be interested in taking an informal survey to see how common they are today. This would include other areas on the Western Slope besides Mesa County.You can reply to me offline. Thanks,

      Mike Henwood
      Grand Junction
      Mesa County
    • Tom & Kay McConnell
      Message 2 of 4 , Dec 20, 2013
        Mike, Lesser Goldfinches are pretty regular year-round now in the Roaring Fork Valley.  There always are a couple at Dick Filby’s feeders in El Jebel/Carbondale and Vic Zerbi reported one on the Christmas count.  I know he had one last winter as well.  LEGO’s have wintered around here since 2004 (Filby residence) and wintering LEGO’s have been found every year since.  I have them listed as an uncommon resident now on the Audubon / Roaring Fork Valley checklist

        Tom McConnell
        Glenwood Springs

        Message 3 of 4 , Dec 20, 2013
          My mother gets them at her feeder in Cortez over the winter as well.  I would have to look through Dad's notes to see what was around 10 years back.

          Dennis Garrison

          To: wsbn@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 4 , Dec 21, 2013
            Greetings,
            All the data on Lesser Goldfinches that one could hope for in all stored in the CBC data. If you want to look at the big picture, looks at the historic counts in the greater western Colorado area. Off the cuff it was around 1990 that Lesser Goldfinches started wintering in numbers in western Colorado. That is about the same time frame niger thistle socks become common. Lesser Goldfinches are really fond of thistle seeds and if socks are well stocked the birds never leave.
            Check out the CBC website!
            Coen