Montezuma County & more

  • Victor Zerbi
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 18, 2013
      One of my goals has been trying to see 200 species in Montezuma County. It’s a long way from home in Glenwood Springs. I have been sitting at 199 since May. Other things in my life has made spending time In Montezuma difficult since May. Decided to finally make run to the SW corner this week.

      Left GWS today and headed to Cortez via Ridgway, Telluride, and Lizard Head. Good Luck at Ridgeway - finally saw a Bufflehead in Ouray County. Not very sexy but a bird I have chased and missed several times.

      Tried without luck for Rosy Finches at Telluride, Lizard Head, and Rico. Tried without luck for Dippers from Rico to McPhee Res.

      Then luck changed - a county bird in Montezuma - a Northern Shrike at the junction of 21 Road and F Road south of the airport and then a Rough-legged Hawk - another Montezuma county bird at the junction of U Road and 20 Road. I have missed both birds on several winter trips to the Cortez area over the last few years. 200 and 201.

      End of day a great meal at Lotta Pizza in Cortez.

      Vic Zerbi
    • Victor Zerbi