Routt Trip

  • Victor Zerbi
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 3, 2006
      Yesterday and today I visited northern Routt County. I missed out on
      most of my goal birds this trip. I was focusing on Sage Sparrow and
      Sage Thrasher in Routt County and Bewick's Wren in Moffat.

      At the Yampa Preserve, I finally found the nesting Dippers. They were
      feeding young. I also got a close up on a Veery (six feet). I renewed
      acquaintances with the other usual suspects there. I did, however,
      miss seeing Ornage-crowned and Virginia's Warblers I wanted to see
      there. (In fact I missed them the entire trip.)

      After I left Carpenter Ranch, I went north on Hwy 13 to Moffat Cty 2
      and headed east to Slater. Then I went south toaward Steamboat on
      Routt Cty 129. Great trip, habitat and scenery - also good birds,
      just not the ones I wanted. I did get to see Clark's Grebe at
      Steamboat Lake. Tried again for the WW Dove without success.

      Vic Zerbi