more good birds at fruitgrowers

  • Andrea Robinsong
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2006
      After a preliminary scoping of the res I put in a call for help to Dave
      Galinat as I knew I had good stuff but needed help.
      The huge immature gull with one leg is a herring gull.
      The five actively feeding sandpipers are White-rumped.
      Also:
      5 Black Terns,,,so beautiful as they gracefully swooped over the pond.
      Am Bittern gallumphing [you can't call that "singing" can you?].
      2 Franklins Gulls, 1 breeder and 1 first summer male
      8 or more ring-billed gulls
      2 White-faced Ibis
      bank swallows
      1 Ring-necked Duck
      2 pairs of red-heads, one with 3 ducklings.....aaaaaahhhhhhhh
      tons of baby Western Grebes...some on parents' backs, some bobbing on
      the water getting fed by parents...aaaaahhhhhhhhh oooooooooo...it is SO
      coool to see the babies riding on the adults!
      baby pied-billed grebes...I saw one, but Evie says there are more
      aaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh ooooooooooo

      This is a very incomplete list. I'm sure I'm forgetting some things and
      I didn't spend much time scoping cuz the sqeeters are out big time. I
      won't list the usual suspects...they are all there.

      When I arrived home I was greeted by my first bat of the year...and then
      by my first Common Nighthawks at my house this year...2.
      Sure hope that cuckoo who has summered in my yard for the past 2 years,
      returns. I'm listening!
      Andrea Robinsong