Worm-eating Warbler

    Message 1 of 8 , Nov 29, 2013
      The Worm-eating Warbler appeared this morning around 8:15a. It stayed for 15 to 20 minutes.
      The bird then flew and has not reappeared. If the bird shows up again we will post it.
      Brenda & Coen
    • aesein.alvera
      Message 2 of 8 , Nov 29, 2013

         Here are my photos from this morning of the Worm-eating Warbler:

        http://www.flickr.com/photos/58672470@N03/sets/72157638186524075/

        I hope it comes back!

        Jackson Trappett

        Message 3 of 8 , Nov 29, 2013
          The Worm-eating Warbler is still present at 346 South Redlands in Grand Jct.  The bird is shy and may not be seen for several hours.  Mike and Alice have a large yard and lots of habitat.  Best bet is to stand quietly and wait for the bird unless you get lucky and the bird is out in the open when you come.

          Natural History of Worm-eating Warbler;  Birds of Colorado; Alfred M Bailey and Robert J. Niedrack; 1965;
          "Three have been reported from Colorado of this illusive dweller of moist bottomlands of the Mississippi Valley and eastern states, south to Georgia and Louisiana.  One was found dead at Durango, 20 Oct 1960.

          Colorado Birds; Robert Andrews and Robert Righter; 1992;
          STATUS; Rare Spring and fall migrant on eastern plains; somewhat more often seen in spring than in fall.  High count of 6 on 11 May 1968, Bonny Reservoir, Yuma County.  There is one specimen.  This species appears to have been observed less often in the last 10 years.  Accidental in mountains (one record) and in western valleys (two records).  The first record was 16 May 1959, Ft. Collins, Larimer County.

          HABITAT; Lowland riparian forest and wooded urban areas.

          RECORDS; Specimen: 29 Aug 1979, near Lyons, Boulder County (DMNH37431). Mountains: 25 Aug 1965, Fern Lake Trail, Rocky Mountain National Park, Larimer County.  Western Valleys: 22 Oct 1960, Durango, La Plata County (photo in Bailey and Niedrach 1965). 1 May 1963, Dinosaur National Monument, Moffat County.

          Birds of Western Colorado Plateau and Mesa Country; 2004
          Two records: one found dead (photographed) at Durango in La Plata County on 22 Oct 1960; one seen at Dinosaur National Monument in Moffat County on 1 May 1963.
          Habitat: Conifers and deciduous trees and shrubs.
          First update of Birds of Western Colorado Plateau and Mesa Country; 2010, includes a third record for western Colorado; one caught at the Grand Jct. banding station on 19 Oct 2006 and photographed. The Worm-eating Warbler in Grand Junction is the 4th record that has been documented for western Colorado.  The is another record that I just found out about but do not have a date or details as of yet.

          One final note;  This WEWA may be the latest fall date for species in Colorado.

          Good birding,
          Coen and Brenda
        • Mike Henwood
          Message 4 of 8 , Nov 30, 2013
            The bird appeared around 3:30 this afternoon- 3rd day in a row appeared @ 3:30 p.m.

            Sent from my iPhone
            Message 5 of 8 , Dec 1, 2013
              Mike Wilson just called to report the Worm-eating Warbler came in early this morning just after 7:00 AM and has been around ever since, 1 December. Mike and Alice welcome birders. The best place to look for the bird is the back deck. Drive in slowly and walk slowly to the deck. The bird is shy. Don't ring the doorbell as it will make the dog bark.
              Good luck,
              Coen and Brenda
            • Victor Zerbi
              Message 6 of 8 , Dec 1, 2013
                I just saw the Worm-eating Warbler. It's still here

                Vic Zerbi

                Sent from my iPhone
              • Brandon K. Percival
                Message 7 of 8 , Dec 1, 2013

                   It would probably be a good idea to document this bird, for the Colorado Birds Records.  Since, today is December, this is the FIRST Worm-eating Warbler for the Winter Season, ever for Colorado!  I know that at least one other warbler seen today, was a new Winter Record for Colorado.  I'm waiting to hear if the Denver Prothonotary Warbler was also seen or not, if it was, that would be three warbler species, that were seen today, that are FIRSTS for Colorado for the Winter!

                  Is this bird in the Grand Jct. CBC circle?  If so, it needs to stay for another two weeks, for the a first Colorado CBC record!

                  Brandon Percival -- Pueblo West, CO

                  Message 8 of 8 , Dec 7, 2013
                    Talked with Mike Wilson-the Worm-eating Warbler was last seen on Wed. May not have survived the cold & snow???
                    Mike Henwood

                    Sent from my iPhone