Birding Madagascar talk tonight

  • jonhorn49
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 20, 2013

      Pete Loncar will be giving a talk about birding in Madagascar at 7:00 pm tonight at Bill Heddles Recreation Center in Delta.  Birds, animals, and culture:

       Madagascar is the fourth largest island in the world and hosts some of the rarest wildlife species that can be found anywhere. In fact, some 90 percent of the wildlife is found nowhere else in the world. Pete Loncar of Montrose, who spent over a month there, and neighboring islands, exploring the country and its wildlife, will be giving a presentation on his travels in the country Wednesday, 20 November, at the Bill Heddles Center in Delta.

       “Both the wildlife and the country and the people were just fascinating,” Loncar said. “I was able to see over 200 species of birds and some 35 percent of these can only be seen in Madagasgar.”  Loncar also saw numerous mammals and reptiles that also live only there. But what he found most alarming is the loss of wildlife habitat. Ninety percent of the original forests have been cut down as its 22 million people try to eke out a living any way they can. As in many third world countries, the clash between people simply trying to survive and the protection of the natural environment is evident everywhere. “If there is any country in the world where the natural environment is really threatened it’s Madagascar…if you want to see its amazing wildlife, you’d better go before it’s too late,” he added.

       Loncar, ought to know as he had traveled to over 30 countries including all seven continents. He started birding in the mid-1980s and anxious to share his experience in an hour-long presentation that is set to start at 7 pm. The program is sponsored by the Black Canyon Chapter of the Audubon Society.

      Pete Loncar will make his presentation Thursday evening, 20 November, at the Bill Heddles Recreation Center in Delta.  Doors open at 6:30 and the presentation will start at 7:00.

      For more information contact Geoff Tischbein, 249-5215

    • Rick