help identify this bird?

  • donna mcfadden
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 22, 2013
    we are thinking flycatcher family?
  • Jacob C. Cooper
    Message 2 of 3 , Oct 22, 2013
      Donna,

      This is a Townsend's Solitaire (Myadestes townsendi), which is actually a species of thrush. The main thing I noticed right off the bat was the buffy wing stripe - a dead give away for these birds when they are flying, but harder to notice while they are sitting. The bird is also very uniformly grey and has a clean white eye-ring that help clinch the ID.

      Regards,

      Jacob C. Cooper
      Graduate Student, Department of Ecology and Evolutionary Biology
      University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS

      [Attachment(s) from donna mcfadden included below]

      Message 3 of 3 , Oct 22, 2013
        thank you to everyone who identified our bird as a
        Townsend's Solitaire.
        i appreciate the information.
        donna mc