Photos

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 8, 2013
    Greetings,
    At this time of year most Black-headed Grosbeaks are far to our south. If a grosbeak is sighted after 1 October look closely at the bill. Black-headed Grosbeaks have a two-toned bill. Rose-breasted Grosbeak has a unicolored bill. The photo shows, very clearly, the two-toned bill of the Black-headed Grosbeak found in Nucla the 1 & 2 of October.
    Many birders have hawk ID questions. This hawk was in our yard a week ago. The best way to ID hawks is to practice. I will give you the ID answer tomorrow and some info on what to look for if the hawk is perched.
    The third photo is a Purple Martin perched on the edge of the roof of Wal-Mart in Delta on 6 October. Purple Martins are normally gone by now but this one was hanging out with Barn Swallows.
    Brenda took the last two photos and yours truly did take the BHGR photo.
    Coen and Brenda