Fw: eBird Report - Greater Nucla Area, Oct 7, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 7, 2013
      Attached via e-bird is what we found around Nucla today.
      Yesterday, in Delta, there were lots of Barn Swallows at several locations with a few Bank Swallows mixed in. While driving by Wal-Mart east of Delta we noticed a large group of swallows were flying around the parking lot. We checked them out and were quite surprised to find a Purple Martin sitting on the roof. Of note, there was also a first of the season Snow Goose, juvenile, at Confluence Park.
      Blue Mesa Reservoir is very low which have produced great mudflats at the upper end. We were there on the 3rd and were pleasantly surprised at the number of birds.
      Over 1000 ducks representing most common species, 50 gulls, Franklin's, Ring-billed and California, American Avocet, Long-billed Dowitcher and lots of coots. One gull which was not in the above list could have been a Thayer's Gull. From what I have read it may be too early for this gull species so the gull is best left un-named.
      The best birds seen on the eastern plains were a Western Kingbird, Sage and Curve-billed Thrasher all in Pueblo County, a Cassin's Kingbird in El Paso County and several Eastern Bluebirds also in El Paso County.
      Should be good weather to got out and bird tomorrow before the next storm and wind!
      Coen and Brenda