Craig area

  • Forrest Luke
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 4, 2013

      Craig is a mess. We received around 10 inches of wet snow and all over town trees are broken and down, damaging houses, power lines, etc. So it seemed like a good time to go see what birds the snow might have brought in. I could clean up the mess in my yard after the snow melts.

      Loudy-Simpson held scores of Yellow-rumped Warblers and juncos amidst the broken trees and snow. There were also good numbers of Chipping and White-crowned Sparrows, with a smattering of Orange-crowned and Wilson’s Warblers. The most surprising bird was not one but two Hammond’s Flycatchers. A quick look at a Catharus thrush struck me as a Swainon’s, but since a Hermit Thrush would have been more likely, I couldn’t make the call.

      At CMS Pond, the only shorebirds were Killdeer and an A. Avocet.

      Good Birding,

      Forrest Luke

    • Forrest Luke
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 11, 2013

        Got out in the sloppy weather to see what the rain may have brought in last evening (Oct 10). At Loudy-Simpson Park a marauding Merlin kept the dickey birds somewhat subdued, but I did manage to pick out a late Blue-gray Gnatcatcher amid the wandering flocks of Yellow-rumped Warblers, Ruby-crowned Kinglets and White-crowned Sparrows. A few Wilson’s Warblers and Lincoln’s Sparrows and a Green-tailed Towhee were also still hanging around. A Greater Yellowlegs and a Hooded Merganser were the only birds of note at CMS Pond.

        On Oct 7 I had a late Townsend’s Warbler and a Hermit Thrush at Loudy-Simpson but couldn’t report because the internet was down following the big snow storm.

        Cheers,

        Forrest Luke

        Craig

      • Forrest Luke
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 10, 2014

          There was a decent fallout at Loudy-Simpson Park last evening. Seven total warbler species totaling in the hundreds, with one Nashville, a Northern Waterthrush and several Townsend’s. A big fallout of Violet-green Swallows, with a smattering of other swallow species.

          Sadly, there was not a similar shorebird fallout. CMS Pond had single Greater and Lesser Yellowlegs and a bunch of eclipse-plumaged ducks that I declined to sort through.

          Forrest Luke

          Craig