Montrose - Common Nighthawk

  • B Fenton
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 1, 2013
    • 1 Attachment
    • 746 KB
    There has been a Common Nighthawk (please confirm my ID - first sighting for me - photo attached) on the roof across the street from us since at lease 8:40 am this morning.  I just checked and it is still there.

    Question: When I attempted to input into eBird that black bordered box appeared.  If this is a common bird for our area, why would additional information/confirmation be required?

    Thanks,

    Betty
    Montrose
  • Jason Beason
    Message 2 of 3 , Oct 1, 2013
      Betty,

      When entering data into eBird, if you are entering a rare species or something late or early they require additional information to verify sighting. This is done to make observer realize that they are entering something unusual and hopefully cut down on the amount of mistakes. You can check the "show rarities" box on the right side of the checklist and all species possible will show and then you can enter your observation. It is getting late for Common Nighthawks in western Colorado and that is why this observation is flagged. You can also embed your photo into your eBird checklist if you have a flickr account. Nice photo!

      Jason Beason
      Paonia - Delta County

    • B Fenton