Nucla birds today!

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 21, 2013
      Migration still has legs or should I say wings!  Tropical migrants that will soon be gone from Colorado that were present today in Nucla were 3 Western Grebes, 5 Turkey Vultures, 3 Common Nighthawks, 10 plus Black-chinned Hummingbirds, 1 Calliope Hummingbird, 1 Rufous Hummingbird, 1 Say's Phoebe, 1 Plumbeous Vireo, 1 House Wren, 5 Orange-crowned Warblers, 2 Nashville Warblers, 2 Black-throated Gray Warblers, 7 Chipping Sparrows, 2 Brewer's Sparrows, 3 Vesper Sparrows and one Black-headed Grosbeak.
      Brenda and I have been in southwest Colorado birding for the last week.  Birding has really been good and have found several unexpected birds in Archulete, La Plata , Montezuma and San Juan County.  The best bird in San Juan County was a Lazuli Bunting at Molas Lake at 10,515 feet on 19 September eating grass seeds at waters edge.  Good birds at Pastorius were Black Tern on 16 September and American Avocets and Townsend's Warblers on the 19th.
      Should be more good birds tomorrow!
      Coen and Brenda