Ouray Bird Count Saturday

  • Tom & Kay McConnell
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 8, 2013
      This was probably the most productive day of land-birding I have ever had around Ridgway.  Five of us joined Coen and Brenda at Ridgway State Park early,  Geoff Tishbein of Montrose, Kendall Henry of Glenwood, Linnea Rowse RMBO Ridgway bander, and Kay & I.  Before we even started a Mockingbird flew past Kay & I in the Elk Ridge Campground.

      We visited Billy Creek SWA and tried to relocate the Black and White Warbler found yesterday without luck.  Instead we found a LOT of other birds, Osprey, Red-naped Sapsuckers, Olive-sided Flycatcher, Plumbeous & Warbling, many Pinyon Jays, 4 Juniper Titmice, Canyon Wren, Blue Gray Gnatcatchers, Western Bluebirds, Sage Thrashers, Warblers (Orange-crowned, Virginia’s, Butter-butts, Blk-throated Gray, many Wilson’s), and 9 species sparrows.

      Ridgway held the rarities of the day, Calliope Hummingbird, Cassin’s Vireo, Red-eyed Vireo, and American Redstart.  Also cool but not as rare, Red-naped and Williamson’s Sapsuckers, Plumbeous Vireo, Cedar Waxwings, and bunch of Evening Grosbeaks.  Thankfully too our only Collar-Doves, House Finches, and House Sparrows of the day.  Our total 73 species when we left at two o’clock!!!

      Coen and Brenda plan to stay and band with Linnea at Ridgway Res tommorrow, maybe they can keep the lucky streak going.

      Tom McConnell
      Glenwood Springs