Re: [wsbn] Ouray County

  • Bill Harris
    Message 1 of 23 , Aug 29, 2013
      Would like to ditto Kent’s observations of ibis and 1 avocet – they were out on a small island
      at the south end of the reservoir later this pm.  Common mergansers diving in the shallows – presumptive
      western grebes way out on the res.  Another related but non-bird observation – mink working the river
      bank and river’s edge diving into the shallows bringing in crawfish.  pretty neat!  Kingfisher below the dam.
      Bill Harris

      Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:23 PM
      Subject: [wsbn] Ouray County

    • kent nelson
      Message 2 of 23 , Oct 1, 2013
        Hello, birders,

        I stopped by Ridgway Reservoir this afternoon, and there was a Franklin's Gull, winter plumage, in with the dozen or so CA Gulls and one Ring-billed Gull. Five D-c Cormorants flew in, and there was one Common Loon, as well as female mergansers, W. Grebe, and an Osprey.

        My feeder in Ouray hasn't had much attendance (not even siskins are coming!) though in the past two weeks I had a Western Scrub-Jay and a lone Pinyon Jay, both first-time yard birds (87 and 88).

        Good birding,

        Kent Nelson
        Ouray
      • kent nelson
        Message 3 of 23 , Jan 17, 2014
          Hello, all,

          There have been almost zero birds at my feeder in Ouray this whole winter, except jays and the occasional Black-capped Chickadee. For the first time in years -- no Evening Grosbeaks (last year I had 70), no Cassin's Finches, no sparrows, no juncos, no goldfinches, no rosy-finches, no siskins. I had one Brown Creeper a couple of days ago, but of course not at the feeder.

          At Ridgway Reservoir today -- 25 Green-winged Teal, two Common Goldeneyes, a few Common Mergansers, two Hooded Mergansers.

          A fair number of raptors on the way to Montrose -- 2 Bald Eagles, 6 Red-tailed Hawks, 2 Rough-winged Hawks, 7 Am Kestrels, 1 Golden Eagle.

          At Confluence Park in Delta I was surprised to find a pair of Redheads, one male Hooded Merganser, and two male Wood Ducks, among the other ducks and geese. I don't go there very often, so I don't know what's usual.

          Good birding.

          Kent Nelson
          Ouray

        • Mark Obmascik
          Message 4 of 23 , Jan 17, 2014
            Weird. Last year at this time we had, as is typical, dozens of pine grosbeaks and red crossbills every day at our feeders near Fraser (Grand County.) During snowstorms we'd also get hundreds of rosy-finches and a few common redpolls (a neighbor last winter even had a hoary.)

            This year, nada.

            I've been wondering if our feeders are so dead this winter because of our unusually wet summer. Above the snow this winter, we still have jutting out a bumper crop of leftover summer vegetation / seed that may be an alternate food source for some birds that usually rely on feeders.

            Mark Obmascik
            Tabenash, CO

            Message 5 of 23 , Apr 26, 2014
              Hello, all,

              Several duck species are at Ridgway Reservoir (30 Gadwall, 8 Am. Wigeon, one Common Goldeneye, 30 Common Mergansers, 5 Buffleheads, 2 Mallards, but no teal that I could see), along with 20 W. Grebes. One Willet was on the island closest to the main park entrance.

              Kent Nelson
              Ouray
            • kent nelson
              Message 6 of 23 , May 3, 2014
                Hello, all,

                Sue Hirshman and I decided to use the nice weather to see if we could find a few birds everyone else has been seeing.  We started at R'way Reservoir, where there were two White-faced Ibis, two Long-billed Dowitchers, four Franklin's Gulls, and a Willet. There were also a few ducks, including G-w Teal, Blue-w Teal (yesterday), and Cinnamon Teal, maybe 50 Western Grebes and 12 C. Mergansers. Plus Chipping, Vesper, and Song Sparrows, and Western Kingbird.
                   On the way north, we saw an Osprey sitting beside a deserted Red-tail's nest, and there were 17 herons on about 20 nests at the rookery east of the dam.
                   At Billy Creek Bridge, we found two Black Phoebes and the Dipper family already raising young. Farther up the road we had House Wren, Green-tailed Towhee, Rough-winged Swallow, Willow Flycatcher, Yellow-rumped and Orange-crowned Warblers.
                   Below the dam was our third stop, where there were several Red-naped Sapsuckers, a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, and another Osprey.
                   We had a few other birds, too, of course (three jay species, more swallows, etc.)
                   In all a pretty good day.

                Kent Nelson
                Ouray
              • kent nelson
                Message 7 of 23 , May 15, 2014
                  Hello, birders,

                  This afternoon at Ridgway Reservoir there were 20 Red-necked Phalaropes, 6 Franklin's Gulls, 4 Bonaparte's Gulls, 7 California Gulls, 3 Green-winged Teal, 1 Great Blue Heron. No Western Grebes.

                  In Ouray yesterday I had 15 Brown-capped Rosy-Finches at my feeder. Today zero. I'm still getting 20 or so Evening Grosbeaks.  A Hermit Thrush was on my walk a couple of days ago when it snowed six inches.

                  Kent Nelson
                  Ouray
                • kent nelson
                  Message 8 of 23 , Apr 3, 2015
                    Hi, birders,

                    There was a Black Phoebe today, 50 yards downstream from the Billy Creek SWA at the north end of Ouray County.
                    Three Turkey Vultures were in the air over Ridgway State Park.

                    My pathetic feeder in Ouray is getting 20 Evening Grosbeaks every day, plus a few Cassin's Finches and other expected birds. Two Red-winged Bb females came today.

                    Good birding,
                    Kent Nelson
                    Ouray
                  • kent nelson
                    Message 9 of 23 , Nov 9, 2015
                      Birders,

                      It's been a more exciting week in Ouray County, at least for me. On Friday, a Lewis's Wp was near the heron rookery on
                      550, and over the weekend I had a N. Goshawk at Elk Meadows above Ridgway, along with a dark Red-tail on Cty Road 5. Then today, at Ridgway Res, there were three Herring Gulls, one Bonaparte's Gull, two Coots, several Common Loons, one Pacific Loon, a Hooded Merganser, several Commons, and a few ducks -- Gadwall, Mallard, Am Wigeon, and Ruddy Duck, along with a mystery duck -- small and while w/ black wing pattern. Not a Bufflehead, unless it was a partial albino. After my initial puzzlement -- I saw the bird in flight for 20 seconds -- I spent two hours trying to refind this bird without success. I also had one An. Avocet, asleep near the H. Gulls.

                      Regards to all.
                      Kent Nelson
                      Ouray