Re: Final dates for bird banding, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 27 7:37 PM
    Greetings,
    Attached is the Ouray County Checklist of birds that have been recorded over the last several years.  If a species has been marked with an X it was recorded on that year's fall count.  Birders will do the two day fall count on September the 8th, Saturday and on September 9, Sunday.  Each day we will meet at the visitors center at Ridgway State Park between 7:30 and 8:00 AM.  You are welcome to go with me or bird the county on your own.  Both days, if you go with me, we will start at Ridgway State Park but will then drive down to the lower end of the county and work our way up towards Red Mountain Pass and the high end of Ouray County by the end of the day.

    The game this year will be just like last year.  Pick the species you will see.  A player gets two points for each species that is picked that the player finds.  A player receives a penalty point for each species that they picked that was not found.  Also, each species that is found that was not picked results in a penalty point.
    Example:  A player picks 65 species, finds 45 of them but also find 18 species that were not picked.  The score for this player would be 45X2=90 but also loses 20+18=38 for a final score of 52.  The lose of 20 points were for the species that the player was not able to find and the 18 points were for the species that were found that were not picked.  It is a very easy, fun game.  Most certainly you can join the fun and not play!  I will play.  Last year several players including Kendell Henry played the game and it came down to last minute of birding to determine a winner.

    This birding game may be the very best game to make birders aware of what species can be expected in different seasons and in varied habitats.  This year we have had a good monsoon season and the reservoir is not as low as it has been in fall the pass few years.

    To pick the species use the attached Ouray Checklist.  Look at the species that have been found in the last several years.  This will go a long way in helping you to decide if the species will be found.  There are three tabs at the bottom of the page so you can toggle through the complete list of birds.
    Hope you can join the count!
    Coen and Brenda