Fw: eBird Report - Miramonte Reservoir, Aug 26, 2013

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 26, 2013
      Brenda and I went to Miramonte SWA and Reservoir today.  We visited with Geoff and Gail and birded the reservoir.  The best bird, by far, was a Pectoral Sandpiper.  We were able to get photos of the first for the county species.  Brenda and I walked to several mudflats and found the following shorebirds listed below.

      Another unexpected bird around the reservoir was a Ferruginous Hawk and difficult species to find in San Miguel County.  The Peregrine Falcon was still present.  We did see 3 American Avocets at Gurley Reservoir south of Norwood.  In total we found over 60 species, Nucla to Miramonte and back to Nucla via Norwood and Dry Creek Basin.

      It is rare to find Willets, Marbled Godwits and Long-billed Curlews in fall migration and all three species have been present this August at Miramonte.  The lake is being drained and the mudflats are now extensive.  Shorebirds will continue to pass until the end of September.  There has already been 14 species of shorebirds this August.
      Coen and Brenda