Miramonte Reservoir

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 22, 2013
      Greetings,
      This afternoon Brenda and I visited Miramonte Reservoir dodging rain showers and spectacular lightning.  The rewards were great however.  Present on the extensive mudflats were several White-faced Ibis, two Killdeers, one Spotted Sandpiper, a Long-billed Curlew, a Marbled Godwit, two Western Sandpipers, 43 Red-necked Phalaropes and many common duck species.  A Peregrine Falcon kept the birds stirred up, however.
      Miramonte is now fairly low as it is in the process of being draining.  Timing is everything but it a birder is there at the right time when a wave of migrants are moving through many shorebirds could be found.  You can bet we will be back several times in the next few weeks.
      Near Norwood at Snyder's Pond there was a Solitary Sandpiper as well as 40 White-faced Ibis.  In total from Nucla to Miramonte and back we saw 58 species.
      Good birding,
      Coen