Odd Couple

  • Leon Thurmon
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 17 4:45 PM
    • 1 Attachment
    • 295 KB
    Hi Again, Everyone,

    We were out checking the Burrowing Owls near rabbit valley, and watched this odd couple hunting prairie dogs together.  We watched them long enough to see clearly they were hunting and travelling together - see attached picture.

    Leon Thurmon
  • Cheryl Day
    Message 2 of 4 , Jul 17 5:34 PM
      Good shot Leon.  I watched a couple of coyotes and a badger do this NW of Fruita a few years ago.  It was surprising how quickly the badger could trot to the next target area the coyotes had picked out.  Obviously, you were closer and got better looks.

      Bill Day

      On Jul 17, 2013, at 5:45 PM, Leon Thurmon wrote:

      Hi Again, Everyone,

      We were out checking the Burrowing Owls near rabbit valley, and watched this odd couple hunting prairie dogs together.  We watched them long enough to see clearly they were hunting and travelling together - see attached picture.

      Leon Thurmon

    • Jason Beason
      Message 3 of 4 , Jul 18 10:45 AM
        Many years ago in Wyoming I saw a badger and coyote "playing" together. They were nipping at each other and chasing each other "playfully"! I highly recommend reading God's Dog by Hope Ryden if you haven't already.

        Jason Beason
        Paonia - Delta Co.
      • Forrest Luke
        Message 4 of 4 , Jul 19 6:17 AM

          Also in Wyoming I watched a coyote and badger hunting prairie dogs together. The badger would dig after the dog while the coyote would wait at the exit hole. I was never sure whether they shared the booty or if the coyote was just being resourceful and taking advantage of the badger but my sense was that it was a serious collaboration.

          Forrest Luke