Cuckoos in Routt Co; July 6th

  • Thomas Litteral
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2013
      Summer birders,

      Its a little late on this report but one of our star birders in Steamboat found a pair of yellow billed cuckoos on private land adjacent to Emerald Mountain, the western backdrop to the city of Steamboat Springs. Lisa and Paul Williams located a calling yb cuckoo in thick scrub oak habitat at 8500 foot elevation. They were able to view one bird at 30 feet for nearly 5 minutes with a second bird responding to its calls nearby. There is NO water or riparian habitat at this location only a heavily brushed slope on the east (more moist) facing side.

      Our hummer population in and around Steamboat does seem to be down although the Yampa Valley has had fair moisture through the Spring and into Summer. Flowers high, hummers low.   Tom Litteral in the 'Boat