RE: Fwd: [wsbn] hummingbirds

  • John "JT" Toolen
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5 3:13 PM

      Perhaps a year with good spring moisture all over the landscape spreads them out more?   Compare to 2011 rather than last year?

      JT

      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 5 3:20 PM
        No Rufous here either.  Always shows on the 4th.

        -Robin Nicholoff
        Sunshine Mesa,
        Hotchkiss

        On Jul 5, 2013, at 1:34 PM, Victor Zerbi <victor@...> wrote:

        By July 4th I normally have several rufous hummingbirds and often a calliope or two in addition to large numbers of broad-tailed and black-chinned hummingbirds. So far, no rufous or calliopes and quite low numbers of the local nesters.

        vic Zerbi

      • Andrea Robinsong
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 7 4:17 PM
          My irrigated yard near Hotchkiss  is full of flowers and I constantly hear and see BC hummers.  I think their numbers at my feeders now are lower than some years.

          The only rufous I've seen this year was active at the feeders early one morning when other folks were reporting first sightings.  He left almost immediately and I haven't seen one since.
          My experience says that their numbers at my feeders have been steadily declining for the past four years.

          Five summers ago I couldn't go anywhere in the woods without the almost constant sound of BT hummers whizzing around me.  Four summers ago I couldn't go anywhere in the woods and hear a Broadtail.  The next summer was almost as grim.  Two years ago I heard more but nothing like historic numbers. Last year I didn't  venture into the high country too much...it was wetter at my place.

          Yesterday I spent four hours roaming on foot and trolling by 4runner off of Lands End Rd on top of Grand Mesa through spectacular fields of wildflowers. I drove up and down the Mesa slowly with the windows open.  Not a single male Broadtailed Hummer in all those hours in all those flowers.

          So in my experience numbers of all hummers continue to decline rapidly and as far as Broadtailed Hummingbirds .......
          I hope they're doing better in other places because they're missing from their old haunts around W Co.

          Please post if your experience is different.
          Andrea Robinsong

          On Jul 5, 2013, at 4:20 PM, Robin Nicholoff <robgret@...> wrote:

          No Rufous here either.  Always shows on the 4th.

          -Robin Nicholoff
          Sunshine Mesa,
          Hotchkiss

          On Jul 5, 2013, at 1:34 PM, Victor Zerbi <victor@...> wrote:

          By July 4th I normally have several rufous hummingbirds and often a calliope or two in addition to large numbers of broad-tailed and black-chinned hummingbirds. So far, no rufous or calliopes and quite low numbers of the local nesters.

          vic Zerbi

        • Bill Harris
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 10 8:11 AM
            FWIW -
            First rufous hummer this summer at our feeder just a few minutes ago!!
            BC’s have been regulars since May.
            Bill Harris

            Sent: Sunday, July 07, 2013 5:17 PM
            Subject: Re: [wsbn] hummingbirds

          • Jason Beason
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 10 8:25 AM
              First Rufous at Rain Crow Farm this morning also. I have had more than average numbers of Black-chinned all spring and summer. Going through lots of sugar and with this heat it ferments quickly.

              My wife, Kerry Noonan, heard a Yellow-billed Cuckoo when out working the farm on July 2nd. For those of you interested in this species, the USFWS is reviewing the Western Distinct Population Segment (west of continental divide and including Rio Grande Drainage (the San Luis Valley)) for listing as Endangered or Threatened at the moment. This is the second time they have reviewed cuckoos for listing and in 2001 it was classified as "Warranted but Precluded".

              Jason Beason
              Paonia - Delta Co.