Peregrine Falcon, Sandhill Crane, Black Swift, and hummingbirds

    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 5, 2013
      One or two Peregrine Falcons can be seen around Nucla daily hunting the hayfields.  The falcons fly towards Tabeguache Creek carrying food.

      Now two Sandhill Cranes are again present.  For over a month only one crane could be found.  We suspect the second crane was on a nest in a nearby wetlands.  It remains to be seen if there is a chick or two hidden out somewhere.

      For the third time this spring and summer Black Swifts have been flying over Nucla.  This is a rare sighting until later in the summer.  The dates were 18 June, 7 swifts; 25 June, 8 swifts; and 4 July, 2 swifts.

      We have five 1/2 liter hummingbird feeders up.  I fill and clean them everyday.  The only species we have at present are Black-chinned Hummingbirds.  We have never had this many Black-chins before but that can be easily explained.  This is the first summer we have been home most of time and keep the feeders full and fresh.  I don't know how many hummers it takes to drink 2 1/2 liters per day.  At his point in the summer we have fed around 50 lbs of sugar.  Very little sugar has been lost to bees, wasps and leaking.
      Am going out to do my rain dance now!
      Coen