Fwd: [wsbn] hummingbirds

  • Andrea Robinsong
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 5, 2013
      Another thought about Mary and Robin's lack of birds......it's normal for birds to be foraging for their food now.  You are really more likely to attract squirrels and other rodents as well as skunks and raccoons to your feeders now than birds.  I'd recommend waiting until fall migration
      To put out seed feeders.
      Andrea Robinsong

      Begin forwarded message:

      From: Andrea Robinsong <arobinsong@...>
      Date: July 5, 2013, 10:05:00 AM MDT
      To: Shep & Mary Harris <smnharris@...>
      Cc: robinhenry76 <robinhenry@...>, Birding Web <wsbn@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [wsbn] hummingbirds

      Where are you both located?  What type of hummers are you talking about?
      The earlier swarms of hummers may have been migrants passing through on their way to those great wildflowers.
      I feed breeding black-chinned and my numbers right now seem average.  When the broad tails first come back they spend weeks with me until the high country is ready for them..this year the last one took off around June 4...a- month ago.
      My first rufous woke me up 10 days ago but he didn't stay. Haven't seen any others yet.
      Last year my rufous count was way down.
      Are they spraying for Mosquitos where you live?
      Andrea Robinsong
      Hotchkiss

      On Jul 5, 2013, at 8:31 AM, "Shep & Mary Harris" <smnharris@...> wrote:

      Everyone I talk to say the same thing. My theory - we had incredible June wildflowers.
      Mary

      On Fri, Jul 5, 2013 at 7:33 AM, robinhenry76 <robinhenry@...> wrote:

      We haven't seen any hummingbirds recently at our feeders or flowers. Normally, we would have swarms. We definitely noticed fewer birds this year but now we have none. Is it just our yard or is this something that others are experiencing?

    • Victor Zerbi
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 5, 2013
        By July 4th I normally have several rufous hummingbirds and often a calliope or two in addition to large numbers of broad-tailed and black-chinned hummingbirds. So far, no rufous or calliopes and quite low numbers of the local nesters.

        vic Zerbi
      • John "JT" Toolen
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 5, 2013

          Perhaps a year with good spring moisture all over the landscape spreads them out more?   Compare to 2011 rather than last year?

          JT

          By July 4th I normally have several rufous hummingbirds and often a calliope or two in addition to large numbers of broad-tailed and black-chinned hummingbirds. So far, no rufous or calliopes and quite low numbers of the local nesters.

          vic Zerbi

        • Robin Nicholoff
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 5, 2013
            No Rufous here either.  Always shows on the 4th.

            -Robin Nicholoff
            Sunshine Mesa,
            Hotchkiss

            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 7, 2013
              My irrigated yard near Hotchkiss  is full of flowers and I constantly hear and see BC hummers.  I think their numbers at my feeders now are lower than some years.

              The only rufous I've seen this year was active at the feeders early one morning when other folks were reporting first sightings.  He left almost immediately and I haven't seen one since.
              My experience says that their numbers at my feeders have been steadily declining for the past four years.

              Five summers ago I couldn't go anywhere in the woods without the almost constant sound of BT hummers whizzing around me.  Four summers ago I couldn't go anywhere in the woods and hear a Broadtail.  The next summer was almost as grim.  Two years ago I heard more but nothing like historic numbers. Last year I didn't  venture into the high country too much...it was wetter at my place.

              Yesterday I spent four hours roaming on foot and trolling by 4runner off of Lands End Rd on top of Grand Mesa through spectacular fields of wildflowers. I drove up and down the Mesa slowly with the windows open.  Not a single male Broadtailed Hummer in all those hours in all those flowers.

              So in my experience numbers of all hummers continue to decline rapidly and as far as Broadtailed Hummingbirds .......
              I hope they're doing better in other places because they're missing from their old haunts around W Co.

              Please post if your experience is different.
              Andrea Robinsong

              On Jul 5, 2013, at 4:20 PM, Robin Nicholoff <robgret@...> wrote:

              No Rufous here either.  Always shows on the 4th.

              -Robin Nicholoff
              Sunshine Mesa,
              Hotchkiss

              On Jul 5, 2013, at 1:34 PM, Victor Zerbi <victor@...> wrote:

              By July 4th I normally have several rufous hummingbirds and often a calliope or two in addition to large numbers of broad-tailed and black-chinned hummingbirds. So far, no rufous or calliopes and quite low numbers of the local nesters.

              vic Zerbi

            • Bill Harris
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 10, 2013
                FWIW -
                First rufous hummer this summer at our feeder just a few minutes ago!!
                BC’s have been regulars since May.
                Bill Harris

                Sent: Sunday, July 07, 2013 5:17 PM

              • Jason Beason
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 10, 2013
                  First Rufous at Rain Crow Farm this morning also. I have had more than average numbers of Black-chinned all spring and summer. Going through lots of sugar and with this heat it ferments quickly.

                  My wife, Kerry Noonan, heard a Yellow-billed Cuckoo when out working the farm on July 2nd. For those of you interested in this species, the USFWS is reviewing the Western Distinct Population Segment (west of continental divide and including Rio Grande Drainage (the San Luis Valley)) for listing as Endangered or Threatened at the moment. This is the second time they have reviewed cuckoos for listing and in 2001 it was classified as "Warranted but Precluded".

                  Jason Beason
                  Paonia - Delta Co.