Marbled Godwit, Least Flycatcher and Lesser Nighthawk

    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 1, 2013
      Brenda and I drove up to Vega Reservoir to camp Thursday night.  On Friday morning we did drive down near Collbran and did find the Least Flycatcher on PE Road.  There are American Crows in the area so did not use a play-back.  We walk the road a few times before we heard the flycatcher call and then was able to locate the bird very close to the road on the north side.  There is a high probability the flycatcher is nesting as it has been at same location for 3 years.
      The habitat is very similar to many other locations in western Colorado.  It seems likely this species is more wide-spread than we realize.  Much of this type of habitat is on private land and is very much under birded.

      Best bird at Fruitgrowers was a Marbled Godwit, not expected at the end of May, and many Ibis.

      Last evening I did check out the Nucla sewer ponds and did see a female Lesser Nighthawk flying with several Common Nighthawks as they fed on insects.
      Coen and Brenda