Least Tern

  • aesein.alvera
    Message 1 of 3 , May 29, 2013
      Thanks to Lee Stigen and my folks for letting me know about this bird.  My folks and I went to Blue Heron pond at about 7:30 to see if it was still around, and we were not disappointed.  The bird was mostly flying and diving every so often.  It did rest on the mud for a little while as well.  While we were watching it, Lee showed up again to get another look.

      Photo link:
      http://www.flickr.com/photos/58672470@N03/8886726626/

      Jackson Trappett
    • a z
      Message 2 of 3 , May 31, 2013
        Lee Stigen called me this morning (5/31) and wanted me to report that the Least Tern was still making appearances at the 1st pond up river from the ( Junior Service League) parking area near the Redlands Parkway and the Riverside Parkway yesterday evening.  The trail is called the Blue Heron trail and I have heard several names [Blue Heron, (Green Heron prior to removal of the tall vegetation around the pond) and Lee is calling it the Caspian pond as he has seen Caspian Terns there in the past] for the pond and I am not sure what the correct name is or if there is a name.  So if you want to get a gander at a the tern it may still be there.  Diane and I saw it on two occasions at around 4pm and 7pm on 5/29 (See Jacksons Post for Photo).

        Dave Trappett
        Grand Junction
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 18, 2013
          Lightning can strike twice in the same day!  In driving to the nighthawk location there was a Least Tern flying about the two farm ponds on West 5th Ave.  This would be the first county record however a guy by the name of Vic Zerbi found one several years ago over in Paradox.  I never expected to see a Least Tern in Montrose County.  Yes, I did go back and get Brenda and she did see the tern also.
          I believe this is the only mid June record for this species in western Colorado.  There are no mid summer or fall migration records that I am aware of.  Where this adult tern is headed or where it has been is just a guess.
          Good birding,
          Coen and Brenda