Western Delta County ponds incl White-rumped Sandpiper,

  • Andrea Robinsong
    Message 1 of 1 , May 6 7:41 PM
      Sorry for the late post.

      I started early Sunday at Fruitgrowers Res.. Apparently there were comings and goings during the day as my list from the morning is pretty different from Evie's evening post.

      I visited Fruitgrowers then checked some duck puddles out in the 'Dobies, then checked the Escalante pond on G50 Rd & irrigation pond on same. After lunch I walked around and scoped Sweitzer, then on to Confluence and finally South Payne Siding on the way back home to Hotchkiss.

      . I encountered no Killdeer ....could they be nesting? I've been gone for 5 weeks so I probably missed their boisterous arrival.
      Another species that was noticeably absent...Pie-billed Grebes.

      I've listed what I consider to be highlights
      5 white pelican
      3 Snowy Egret
      20 American Avocet
      1 Great Blue Heron
      11 Forsters tern
      2 Yellow-headed Blackbird
      18 Song Sparrow
      40 Ring-billed Gull
      1 Franklins Gull
      6 Wilson's Snipe
      2 Bonneparts Gull
      12 Ruddy Ducks
      1 RN Pheasant rooster
      12. Wilson's Phalarope
      40 Eared Grebe
      Many swallows Tree and Barn
      Courting W Grebes

      Sweitzer Lake State Park. Noon to 3:00
      1 AMPE
      1. Forsters Tern (photos show smaller than the goose's foot standing next to it)
      1. Bonneparts Gull
      1. Franklins Gull
      1. Double-crested Cormorant
      1. Great Egret
      1. R B Gull
      Swalllows
      Rafts of W & Eared Grebes

      Confluence
      7. W Phalarope
      1 corm
      5 Long-billed Dowitchers
      1. Ring- billed Gull

      Irrigation pond G50 Rd
      6 avocet
      6 pairs Cinnamon Teal
      Many Green-winged Teal
      1. Black-necked Stilt

      Payne Siding South pond
      Visibility greatly decreased due to wind
      More mud shores than anywhere else I visited
      1 White-rumped Sandpiper. (Flew into my field of view when I was scoping mudflats. The white rump was very bright although I could not have IDed the bird once it landed.)
      2 Avocets
      6. Canvasback Ducks
      Unidentified Shorebirds

      Andrea Robinsong