Downvalley Lakes

  • Tom & Kay McConnell
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5 6:43 PM
      Kay & I visited the lakes and woods around Rifle and Silt today.  A few new migrants and many birds on the lakes.

      Grass Valley Farm Pond
      Wilson’s Phalarope (only shorebird of the day) and many dabblers

      Harvey Gap State Park
      Common Loon
      Eared and Western Grebes
      Lesser Scaups
      Buffleheads

      Rifle Falls Hatchery
      Bald Eagle (sitting on pole and looking for easy pickin’s)
      Warbling Vireo (almost singing)
      House Wren
      Butterbutts (lots)

      Rifle Falls
      Warbling Vireo (another half-hearted song)
      American Dipper (carrying food to it’s mate on nest)

      Rifle Gap Res
      Lots more Eared and Western Grebes
      Blue-winged Teal (4)

      At home