Western slope birding, Easter Sunday, 31 March

  • Dick Filby
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 1, 2013

      Hi all

      Spent a pleasant warm spring day out on the West Slope yesterday..  drove a few miles and saw a few birds including the following highlights:

      Osprey – on nest on south side of I70 just west of Rifle, Garfield Co

      Williamson’s Sapsucker – male – Divide Road, Uncompahgre  Mesa Co

      Horned Grebe – transitional plumage – on pond on north side of hwy141 just west of the Uncompahgre River, Mesa Co

      Ring-billed Gull – as above

      Burrowing Owl 2 – in the White-tailed Prairie-Dog town on west side of Hwy50 close to the county line (~mm50.5) Mesa Co

      And in the evening at Fruitgrowers resr, Delta Co

      Bonaparte’s Gull 1

      Ring-billed Gull 1

      Red-breasted Merganser – pair

      Greater Yellowlegs 1

      American Avocet 1

      American White Pelican 3

      Sandhill Crane ~750 arrived in small groups between 4pm and 7pm when I left

      Good birding all

      Dick Filby

      Carbondale, CO