Christmas Bird Counts

  • Missy Siders
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 30, 2012
      A Reminder:

      Christmas Bird Counts take place on the following dates and locations:

      Saturday, Dec. 15 -Montrose.
      Meet at 8:30 a.m. at the Montrose Public Lands Center parking lot, 2465 South Townsend Avenue. We will bird watch until we get the circle done or run out of daylight.  All data needs to be turned into the leader by the end of the day.  Contact Missy Siders, 970-240-5332 or
      msiders@....

      Sunday, Dec. 16 - Delta.
      Meet at 8 a.m. in the Delta City Market parking lot. Bird until we get the circle done, or run out of daylight.  For more information contact Amy Seglund at 970-252-6014 or
      amy.seglund@....

      Sunday, Dec. 16 - Gunnison.
      Meet at 7:30 a.m. at Western State College Campus, Hurst Hall, Room 130 to get organized. A chili potluck at 5:30 p.m. completes the day and provides an opportunity to compile the results. Contact Arden Anderson at 970-641-5322 the week before the count with any questions.  All data needs to be turned into the leader by the end of the day or other arrangements must be endorsed by the leader.

      Saturday, Jan. 5 - Hotchkiss.
      Meet at 8 a.m. in the Hotchkiss City Market parking lot to break into groups. For more information and for those who want to meet earlier for observing owls, contact Jason Beason at 970-310-5117 or
      jason.beason@....  Jason would like to hear from everyone that plans on helping with the count, but it isn’t necessary to participate with this group!

      If your home is within the boundaries of a Count Circle, you can stay home and report the birds that visit your feeder.

      Christmas bird counting volunteers should bring warm clothes, snacks and/or lunch, drinks, binoculars, spotting scope and bird books. Maps of the birding areas and checklists of birds will be provided.

      As of this year, there is no charge for participating!

      Please help out if you can!
      -Missy
      ^v^  ^V^   ^v^    ^v^  ^V^   ^v^ ^v^
                   Missy Siders
             missy.siders@...
      ^V^   ^v^    ^v^  ^V^   ^v^  ^v^  ^V^
    • jonhorn49
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 26, 2013
        Thought it was time that I posted information about the Christmas Bird Counts in Montrose, Gunnison, Delta, and Hotchkiss.

        Saturday, Dec. 14, Montrose. Meet at 8:30 a.m. at the BLM/Forest Service parking lot, 2465 South Townsend Avenue and follow the signs to the meeting room to get organized. Bird until we get the circle done, or run out of daylight.  All data needs to be turned into the leader by the end of the day.  Contact Missy Siders, 970-240-5332 , msiders@....

        Sunday, Dec. 15, Gunnison.  Meet at 7:30 am on the Western State College Campus - Hurst Hall Room 130 to get organized. Chili potluck at 5:30 that evening to compile results. Things can be wintry in Gunnison so come prepared for whatever weather we may have. Contact Arden Anderson at 970-641-5322 the week before the count if there are any questions.  All data needs to be turned into the leader by the end of the day, or make other arrangements with the leader.

        Saturday, Dec. 21, Delta. Meet at 8:00 a.m. in the Delta City Market parking lot.  For more information contact Amy Seglund, 970-252-6014, amy.seglund@...

        Saturday, January 4, Hotchkiss. Meet at 8 a.m. in the Hotchkiss City Market parking lot to break into groups. For more information and for those who want to meet earlier for observing owls, contact Jason Beason at 970-310-5117, jason.beason@....  Jason would like to hear from everyone that plans on helping with the count, but it isn’t necessary

        Thanks to Missy Siders for compiling this information.  Looking forward to the counts and hope that we have record turnouts of birders and birds!

        Jon Horn
        Montrose

      • Brandon K. Percival
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 4, 2014
          Hi all,

          You can now pre-register for Christmas Bird Counts and see the date for the counts, also how to contact the compiler.

          Brandon Percival
          Colorado CBC Regional Editor
          Pueblo West, CO