BAGO Quest - Mesa County

    Message 1 of 1 , Nov 29, 2012

      Yesterday, Missy and I drove up and over Pinon Mesa looking for open water and waterfowl (Barrow’s goldeneye in particular).  All reservoirs and stock ponds were either completely frozen or dry.  However, there are always surprises, eh?  Best birds: Lewis’s woodpecker 3, Cassin’s finch 240, Evening grosbeak 350 (the latter were flying by in flock after flock, and I’m certain my count was conservative).

      Today we traversed the east end of Grand Valley, where all water remains completely open, but our tally of waterfowl was ridiculously low, and still no BAGO.  Best birds: Merlin 1 (very light, matching Sibley’s “prairie”), Dipper 1 (at the Gunnison River roller dam near the old USDOE site, a first for me anywhere in the Valley), Mountain bluebird 150, and Cedar waxwing 80 (which we carefully sorted through for Bohemians but found none).

      Good birding,