RE: [cobirds] Wow! Is 23 Common Loons a high count for Colorado?

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 30, 2012

      Hey Joe, it’s not even close!  Maybe it’s a high count for October, but several of us counted and recounted 128 COLO at Highline S.P. in Mesa County on the evening of 09 April 2009.  The number of COLO had been increasing all day long, but our maximum tally occurred at dusk.  In hindsight, I *wish* I had returned the following morning to see if there were even more!  An ensuing discussion on wsbn and cobirds was quite a thread, as everyone chimed in to offer collective terms that could be applied to that many loons, e.g., “loonybin” and all sorts of other colorful terms, wish I could recall some of them, eh?

      Larry

      GJ

      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 30, 2012

        Thank you, Mark Peterson, for the link back to those postings, and good grief I got both the date and the final count wrong!  It was on 04 April 2009 – 72 COLO had been reported to me by Ronda and Deb at 0830 hrs, 92 were counted by me, Sean and Jacob at midday, and 124 were tallied at dusk by four of us looking northward from the west side kiosk.

        Anyway, I enjoyed looking back at our thread and here are some of the names that were proposed for such a mob-goblin of loons:

        Asylum (today I received another vote for this descriptor from Dick Filby)

        Commitment

        Giggle

        Toon

        Cry

        Loomery (loonery?)

        Raft

        Water dance

        Yodel

        Dive, diversity (if more than one species present)

        Council

        School

        Lake

        Lot, as in small lot or big lot