Color Sunday/ Monday Sightings

  • Cary Atwood
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 2, 2012

      On a couple of quintessential Colorado blue sky days, our road trips took us to Cheney (almost mudpuddle) Reservoir, Fruitgrower's Res, across Grand Mesa, and back to GJ. Sunday's trip was to Blue Mesa Reservoir.
      The following species were observed:

      Cheney
      Pied-billed Grebe
      Green-winged Teal
      Mallard
      Northern Pintail
      Blue-winged Teal
      N. Shoveler
      Gadwall
      Am. Wigeon
      Redhead
      Ring-necked Duck
      Ruddy Duck
      Killdeer
      A mass cotillion of American Coots
      A family of 3 Sandhill Cranes

      Fruitgrower's
      Sage Thrasher
      American Pelican
      Yellow-Rumped Warbler

      Along the route:
      Turkey vulture
      Turkeys
      Red-tailed Hawk
      Western Grebe

      On Sunday late afternoon after a scenic bike ride up Hwy 92 and back to Blue Mesa Dam, we heard, then counted at least 400 Sandhills flying SE at high altitude..as always, a glorious sight and sound!

      Cary Atwood
      Leon Thurmon
      Grand Junction