Ms. Williams et al.

    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 14, 2012

      Our female Williamson’s sapsucker stayed all day, dawn to dusk, mostly on the same 2-ft stretch of the elm tree nearest my office!  I can’t help but wonder what exactly she found so yummy on an elm tree??  BNA, Kaufman, Ehrlich all suggest ants especially during spring/breeding (other insects as well), but sap, fruits and berries in fall... hmmmm.

      I finally went out and looked a little closer at our Great horned owls, “perched” on the ground, on our fence, and on the shepherds hooks I hang humfeeders on - there were two adults plus two juvies!  We have many small mammals to keep them happily dining and well entertained – plenty of cottontails this year, skunks on occasion, and squirrels of three species I believe:  White-tailed antelope squirrel, ground squirrel, rock squirrel.

      Great entertainment yesterday!