Redlands Parkway North pond

  • Bob Bradley
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 27, 2012
      This pond is not stagnant. It changes by the day. Today I scanned the peeps and one larger bird, expecting to see the Dunlin again. But this bird had long greenish yellow legs, a Stilt Sandpiper. It appeared to be a nonbreeding plumaged adult.

      Bob Bradley
      gj
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 27, 2012

        Bob, great bird for that little pond!  Are you keeping a separate bird list for that pond, or the several ponds in that area?  If so I’d love a copy!  Maybe it’ll pull in another Sabine’s gull, Red phalarope, or something?  BTW, RPS pond just across Redlands Parkway had several shorebirds this morning as well, peeps and a yellowlegs at least.  The gravel pit pond next to RPN pond had two Solitary sandpipers on the north end along that sand/mud bar, fussing with a lot of Solitary sandpipers.  Green Heron pond had more peeps than the other ponds combined, and yet another yellowlegs.  At Ela, the small pond that still has water and a bit of mud, held another Solitary sandpiper.

        Wondering if there are other accessible mud flats across Grand Valley, and if anyone has been checking them... thanks,

        Larry

        This pond is not stagnant. It changes by the day. Today I scanned the peeps and one larger bird, expecting to see the Dunlin again. But this bird had long greenish yellow legs, a Stilt Sandpiper. It appeared to be a nonbreeding plumaged adult.

        Bob Bradley

        gj

      • Steven Mlodinow
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 27, 2012
          Greetings All
          Having struggled with aging Stilt Sands this time of year in eastern WA, methinks that most of the pallid birds this time of year are fading juvs. Adults tend to still show some of their breeding plumage and look a bit ragged, much like many adult humans :-)
          Steve Mlodinow
          Longmont

          Sent from my iPhone

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 3, 2013
            The recent warming trend has opened much of this pond, and the ducks have noticed. This afternoon produced the following:

                Canada Goose, 2
                Gadwall, 3
                Mallard, 15
                Green-winged Teal, 2
                Canvasback, 4
                Ring-necked Duck, 32
                Bufflehead, 2

            Bob Bradley
          • Bob Bradley
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 30, 2013
              The shorebirds are showing up. Today there were 2 Am. Avocets and 2 Greater Yellowlegs, along with 3 or 4 Western Sandpipers which have been showing up for several days.

              Bob Bradley,
              Gr. Jct.
            • Bob Bradley
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 9, 2013
                A bit late to post, but yesterday there was 1 Greater Yellowlegs and 2 Long-billed Dowitchers.

                Bob Bradley, GJ