Black Swifts over Nucla today!

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2012
      About 10:00 AM 18 Black Swifts were hawking insects very low over Nucla for several minutes.  I suspect these swifts are from the Telluride area.  Yesterday there were a lot of storms in the area.  Most of the San Miguel River drainage got rain.  Nucla got .42 inches.  The mornings after a strong monsoon in August swifts can often be found flying above the Nucla area.  I suspect the insects are grounded at higher elevation.  Nucla is 40 miles from the nearest known Black Swift breeding site.

      A few other good birds around Nucla today, lots of all four species of hummingbirds, Black Phoebe, Red-breasted Nuthatch, Canyon Wren, MacGillivray's Warbler, Brewer's Sparrow, Black-headed, Blue and Evening Grosbeak and many Lazuli Buntings.  Migration is on!  Between 50 and 60 species is routine this time of year, following a storm, on a walk about town.
      Good birding,
      Coen and Brenda