Horsefly NW, alternate block

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2012
      We could not finish Region 7s last block due to the fact the block lies totally in private lands in Ouray County owned by the 1% ers.  99% are not allowed in enter the locked gates.
      We elected to work the NW block instead because all other blocks are private within the 7 1/2 minute map.  NW block is part public property.
      It is late in the atlas season but George, Kathey, Brenda and I found 46 species and confirmed 16, mostly via fledgings.  This substitute block will have to work for the Horsefly Quad.  Best birds were Purple Martins still feeding fledgings and a hatch year Townsend's Warbler.  Townsend's breed far to the northwest of Colorado and it was a very unusual to find a juvenile during fall migration before adults arrive.  Brenda found the warbler and got some fair pictures.
      Good birding,
      Coen and Brenda