Harts Basin - Delta County

    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 12, 2012
      Hey all,

      Early yesterday (7 to 9 a.m.), I hiked out from the causeway across the now mostly dry/desiccated mud flats, on a quest for shore birds, encountered amazingly few of those creatures, but a Peregrine had scooted a few out of there before I could get close enough to ID them. I walked further out there than ever before, tallied about 40 species, about half of what I typically get at dawn in May. Best:

      Double-crested Cormorant 23
      American White Pelican 58
      Peregrine Falcon 1
      Spotted Sandpiper 1
      Baird's Sandpiper 1
      peep sp. 3
      Wilson's Phalarope 1
      Black-chinned Hummingbird 12 crazy to hear these zipping by on the flats
      SWALLOWS of 4 or 5 species, 100s if not 1000s
      Blue Grosbeak 6+
      Pine Siskin 8 on the causeway, weird!

      I need migrants!