Introduction and RFI: Shorebirds

  • Holly Reinhard
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 11, 2012
      Hello birders,

      Some of you may have seen me over on the CO-birds listserve. I was told about this email group, but I forgot about it until now. Anyhow, I am from western Oregon, but am currently living near Hayden (30 miles W. of Steamboat Springs).

      Here is my dilemma. As a person who has grown up about 1 hour away from the ocean in Oregon, I am very homesick for it. Bird-wise, I am feeling sad when I see reports from friends back in OR who are seeing this or that shorebird. So my question for you all is this: where is a good place in Northwest-ish Colorado to look for shorebirds?

      I don't need anything super rare....but would love to find a mudflat with some Semi-palm Plovers, and/or Least Sandpipers, etc. As for location, like I said, I am located in Hayden, but I was toying with the idea of driving over to Walden Lake, if you think it would be good for shorebirds (I think that is what it is called; the lake NW of the town of Walden, north of Rabbit Ears Pass) on my days off this week (Mon/Tues).  That is a few hours away; I am definitely willing to travel a bit (probably no more than 2 hours though) to get some shorebirds! Also, if anyone is free on Monday or Tuesday and would like to go shorebirding with me, I would be thrilled.

      I did look at the CFO website and their county map, but I would love any news or insights you all might have.

      Thank you very much, and good birding!

      Holly Reinhard
      Hayden, CO (formerly Corvallis, OR)