Ouray County

  • kent nelson
    Message 1 of 22 , Aug 8, 2012
      Birders,

      This afternoon Judy Scheig and I birded Billy Creek SWA and found Ash-throated Flycatcher, ten Western Bluebirds, assorted sparrows, etc. No Black Phoebes at the bridge. At the Ridgway Reservoir were 22 White-faced Ibis. We also drove from Colona to Log Hill, but didn't find anything significant except the scenery.

      If you are in Ouray to see Black Swifts or to relax, you could come by my pathetic 15x15" feeder in my backyard. I've had 39 species at this feeder (77 yard birds). Right now there are hordes of Evenings Grosbeaks, lots of Cassin's Finches and Pine Siskin, an occasional chickadee or White-cr. Sparrow. In the last week I've had Green-tailed Towhee and Lazuli Bunting. The latter is a new bird for my yard.
        Anyway, this feeder has had White-throated Sparrow, Lark Sparrow, Rose-breasted Grosbeak, Yellow-headed Blackbird, etc. over the past few years. You can access the feeder by turning east at the main street in Ouray (bank, Ouray Brewer), going past the courthouse, and turning left into the alley right before the Ouray Museum. Mine in the third house on the left. There's a low cement wall, and the feeder is right over that, visible from a car in the alley.
         All welcome.

      Kent Nelson
      Ouray
    • kent nelson
      Message 2 of 22 , Aug 24, 2012
        Hello, all,

        Yesterday there were forty-some peeps on the extensive mudflats at Ridgway Reservoir, and today twenty, mostly Westerns and Baird's Sandpipers. Spotted Sandpipers dropped from about six or seven yesterday to one today. Today there were six Willets.

        Kent Nelson
        Ouray
      • kent nelson
        Message 3 of 22 , Sep 7, 2012
          Hello, all,

          Judy Scheig and I hiked to Blue Lakes yesterday and found at least one Three-toed Woodpecker. We also ran into several warbler flocks, including one with 15-20 Townsend's, a Nashville, etc., plus another flock of mostly Wilson's. There were no birds at the lake.

          There was an influx in yard birds this morning -- with a Lincoln's Sparrow (two have been around for a week), Bullock's Oriolle, McGillivray's Wb, and a Green-tailed Towhee, plus lots of White-crowns and many fewer Evening Grosbeaks.

          Kent Nelson
          Ouray
        • kent nelson
          Message 4 of 22 , Sep 30, 2012
            Hello, all,

            The male Rose-breasted Grosbeak has been in my yard off and on for the past three days, probably a winter plumaged bird, and today, about half an hour ago (noon), a female showed up. (I had a female here late fall two years ago, and a male this past spring. Is this global warming? I know birds are nesting farther north...) Yesterday, a Fox Sparrow appeared, along with several Cedar Waxwings, and they've been around today. I have seen these birds elsewhere in Ouray in other years, but they're new for my yard (82 species). Hermit Thrush was here, today, too, and a late Broad-tailed H'bird a couple of days ago.

            I checked Dick Guadagno's Pond late yesterday and didn't see the bittern.

            Kent Nelson
            Ouray
          • kent nelson
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 5, 2012
              Hello, all,

              My feeder in Ouray will not be operating for the next two and a half months, as I am going birding in New Zealand and Australia. I hope to be back at the end of December.

              Today the female Rose-breasted Grosbeak is still here, but the male didn't show up today or yesterday, after being here for a week. I checked in Ridgway twice in the past week after the American Bittern at Dick Guadagno's Pond, but didn't see it. The owner reported she hasn't seen the bird either for a while. At the reservoir on Tuesday, there was a raft of about a thousand ducks, but they were so far away I couldn't identify any of them. Otherwise, a few gulls and one Osprey. (The park has closed the Elk Ridge far lookout for the season, which is the best place to see the far part of the reservoir.)

              Regards,
              Kent Nelson
              Ouray

            • kent nelson
              Message 6 of 22 , Feb 15, 2013
                Hello, birders,

                Judy Scheig and I drove around the county today to try to locate a Rough-legged Hawk, which, after a good search, we found on County Rd 12A, between CR 10 and CR 12, just east of Ridgway. The bird was sitting on a telephone pole closer to CR 10 -- sleek whitish head, dark belly, back tail band.
                  Other birds were several W. Scrub Jays and Townsend's Solitaires, Red-tailed Hawks 5, N. Flicker 1, Bald Eagle 5.

                My feeder has been absent exciting birds for the past few weeks, though I still get the flock of 30+ Evening Grosbeaks, with only one female.

                Kent Nelson
                Ouray
              • kent nelson
                Message 7 of 22 , May 7, 2013
                  Hello, all,

                  Thanks to the several people who responded to my concern that postings from Ouray weren't too exciting. Birding is always exciting to me, but not everyone shares the same local interests.

                  Anyway, after saying I had had only one rosy-finch (for several days), I had 19 two days ago, all Brown-caps. This morning there were 7.

                  At 8:30 I left to go to Montrose, and just north of the Orvis Hot Springs, about a mile S of the silly stoplight at Ridgway, I stopped to check out a small flock of Canada Geese in case a White-fronted Goose had infiltrated. There were a couple of gulls in with the geese, and to my surprise, one of them was an adult breeding Franklin's -- red bill, black cap truncated behind the head, white eye ring clearly visible.

                  There were about  30 Western Grebes at the R'way Reservoir, but nothing else that I saw.

                  On my way home, I couldn't stop, but there were a couple of gulls still lounging by the patch of water at the far side of the field, again about a mile south of the traffic light.

                  Kent Nelson
                  Ouray
                • kent nelson
                  Message 8 of 22 , May 9, 2013
                    Hello, all,

                    There were 7 Franklin's Gulls and 1 Bonaparte's Gull at the R'way Reservoir today. Also 4 CA Gulls. My feeder had 1 rosy-finch and 1 Bullock's Oriole this morning.

                    Kent Nelson
                    Ouray
                  • kent nelson
                    Message 9 of 22 , Aug 29, 2013
                      Hello, birders,

                      After weeks of not much at the Ridgway Reservoir, this morning there were 20 White-faced Ibis and an Avocet. The reservoir is receding.

                      This week had a little warbler activity, with several Wilson's, one Nashville, three or four Virginia's, and several Orange-crowned Warblers in my yard. Nothing too great at the feeder, now up again, except a Hairy Woodpecker was good.

                      Kent Nelson
                      Ouray
                    • Bill Harris
                      Message 10 of 22 , Aug 29, 2013
                        Would like to ditto Kent’s observations of ibis and 1 avocet – they were out on a small island
                        at the south end of the reservoir later this pm.  Common mergansers diving in the shallows – presumptive
                        western grebes way out on the res.  Another related but non-bird observation – mink working the river
                        bank and river’s edge diving into the shallows bringing in crawfish.  pretty neat!  Kingfisher below the dam.
                        Bill Harris

                        Sent: Thursday, August 29, 2013 5:23 PM
                        Subject: [wsbn] Ouray County

                      • kent nelson
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 1, 2013
                          Hello, birders,

                          I stopped by Ridgway Reservoir this afternoon, and there was a Franklin's Gull, winter plumage, in with the dozen or so CA Gulls and one Ring-billed Gull. Five D-c Cormorants flew in, and there was one Common Loon, as well as female mergansers, W. Grebe, and an Osprey.

                          My feeder in Ouray hasn't had much attendance (not even siskins are coming!) though in the past two weeks I had a Western Scrub-Jay and a lone Pinyon Jay, both first-time yard birds (87 and 88).

                          Good birding,

                          Kent Nelson
                          Ouray
                        • kent nelson
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 17, 2014
                            Hello, all,

                            There have been almost zero birds at my feeder in Ouray this whole winter, except jays and the occasional Black-capped Chickadee. For the first time in years -- no Evening Grosbeaks (last year I had 70), no Cassin's Finches, no sparrows, no juncos, no goldfinches, no rosy-finches, no siskins. I had one Brown Creeper a couple of days ago, but of course not at the feeder.

                            At Ridgway Reservoir today -- 25 Green-winged Teal, two Common Goldeneyes, a few Common Mergansers, two Hooded Mergansers.

                            A fair number of raptors on the way to Montrose -- 2 Bald Eagles, 6 Red-tailed Hawks, 2 Rough-winged Hawks, 7 Am Kestrels, 1 Golden Eagle.

                            At Confluence Park in Delta I was surprised to find a pair of Redheads, one male Hooded Merganser, and two male Wood Ducks, among the other ducks and geese. I don't go there very often, so I don't know what's usual.

                            Good birding.

                            Kent Nelson
                            Ouray

                          • Mark Obmascik
                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 17, 2014
                              Weird. Last year at this time we had, as is typical, dozens of pine grosbeaks and red crossbills every day at our feeders near Fraser (Grand County.) During snowstorms we'd also get hundreds of rosy-finches and a few common redpolls (a neighbor last winter even had a hoary.)

                              This year, nada.

                              I've been wondering if our feeders are so dead this winter because of our unusually wet summer. Above the snow this winter, we still have jutting out a bumper crop of leftover summer vegetation / seed that may be an alternate food source for some birds that usually rely on feeders.

                              Mark Obmascik
                              Tabenash, CO

                              Message 14 of 22 , Apr 26, 2014
                                Hello, all,

                                Several duck species are at Ridgway Reservoir (30 Gadwall, 8 Am. Wigeon, one Common Goldeneye, 30 Common Mergansers, 5 Buffleheads, 2 Mallards, but no teal that I could see), along with 20 W. Grebes. One Willet was on the island closest to the main park entrance.

                                Kent Nelson
                                Ouray
                              • kent nelson
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 3, 2014
                                  Hello, all,

                                  Sue Hirshman and I decided to use the nice weather to see if we could find a few birds everyone else has been seeing.  We started at R'way Reservoir, where there were two White-faced Ibis, two Long-billed Dowitchers, four Franklin's Gulls, and a Willet. There were also a few ducks, including G-w Teal, Blue-w Teal (yesterday), and Cinnamon Teal, maybe 50 Western Grebes and 12 C. Mergansers. Plus Chipping, Vesper, and Song Sparrows, and Western Kingbird.
                                     On the way north, we saw an Osprey sitting beside a deserted Red-tail's nest, and there were 17 herons on about 20 nests at the rookery east of the dam.
                                     At Billy Creek Bridge, we found two Black Phoebes and the Dipper family already raising young. Farther up the road we had House Wren, Green-tailed Towhee, Rough-winged Swallow, Willow Flycatcher, Yellow-rumped and Orange-crowned Warblers.
                                     Below the dam was our third stop, where there were several Red-naped Sapsuckers, a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher, and another Osprey.
                                     We had a few other birds, too, of course (three jay species, more swallows, etc.)
                                     In all a pretty good day.

                                  Kent Nelson
                                  Ouray
                                • kent nelson
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 15, 2014
                                    Hello, birders,

                                    This afternoon at Ridgway Reservoir there were 20 Red-necked Phalaropes, 6 Franklin's Gulls, 4 Bonaparte's Gulls, 7 California Gulls, 3 Green-winged Teal, 1 Great Blue Heron. No Western Grebes.

                                    In Ouray yesterday I had 15 Brown-capped Rosy-Finches at my feeder. Today zero. I'm still getting 20 or so Evening Grosbeaks.  A Hermit Thrush was on my walk a couple of days ago when it snowed six inches.

                                    Kent Nelson
                                    Ouray
                                  • kent nelson
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Apr 3
                                      Hi, birders,

                                      There was a Black Phoebe today, 50 yards downstream from the Billy Creek SWA at the north end of Ouray County.
                                      Three Turkey Vultures were in the air over Ridgway State Park.

                                      My pathetic feeder in Ouray is getting 20 Evening Grosbeaks every day, plus a few Cassin's Finches and other expected birds. Two Red-winged Bb females came today.

                                      Good birding,
                                      Kent Nelson
                                      Ouray