Redlands Parkway North pond

  • Bob Bradley
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 5, 2012
      If you thought 2 sandpipers were a challenge, how about 5? This morning I found 5 of these birds in the same general area on the north side of the pond. They all had dark legs, and all seemed to have wing and tail lengths about equal, which eliminates Baird's (and White-rumped). I'm also not considering Dunlin, as they are expected considerably later in the season, if at all. That really leaves us with the 2 small calidrids, Western and Semipalmated. At least 3 of these appear to be Westerns, including the one with the tangled foot. One of them appeared to be a bit smaller and with a shorter bill, with an apparent deeper base and a blunter tip.
      This bird also seemed to have a more uniform scaly pattern on the back. As many of these characteristics are subjective, I think more observations and opinions are in order. Nevertheless, I suggest that this latter bird is a Semipalmated.

      By the way, a Lesser Yellowlegs was in the area too.

      Bob Bradley
      Grand Junction
    • aesein.alvera
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 6, 2012
        I stopped by on my way to the office this morning and took a look. Right as I pulled up a group of shorebirds took off from the pond. I hopped out quickly and got a look with my binoculars. The three that I could see the best looked like the Westerns. There were several more with them that were too far away for me to get a good look. I watched them as they headed north and disappeared.
        After that I did a thorough check of the pond and only found Killdeers and one Spotted remaining.
        Jackson Trappett

        --- In wsbn@yahoogroups.com, "Bob Bradley" <thrasher@...> wrote:

        > If you thought 2 sandpipers were a challenge, how about 5? This morning I found 5 of these birds in the same general area on the north side of the pond. They all had dark legs, and all seemed to have wing and tail lengths about equal, which eliminates Baird's (and White-rumped). I'm also not considering Dunlin, as they are expected considerably later in the season, if at all. That really leaves us with the 2 small calidrids, Western and Semipalmated. At least 3 of these appear to be Westerns, including the one with the tangled foot. One of them appeared to be a bit smaller and with a shorter bill, with an apparent deeper base and a blunter tip.
        > This bird also seemed to have a more uniform scaly pattern on the back. As many of these characteristics are subjective, I think more observations and opinions are in order. Nevertheless, I suggest that this latter bird is a Semipalmated.
        >
        > By the way, a Lesser Yellowlegs was in the area too.
        >
        > Bob Bradley
        > Grand Junction

      • Bob Bradley
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 25, 2012
          I revisited the pond today and saw only about 10 shorebirds, one of them being what I am calling a Dunlin. This bird had one lame leg. The legs were definitely black, however, which eliminates Stilt Sandpiper. It was basically a gray/brown bird, the brown showing well on the breast. It had a heavy based long black bill, decurved at the tip. With raised wing the tail and rump were mostly white with only a apparent very narrow dark line in the center. It did not have the dark-tipped tail of the Culew Sandpiper When the bird flew in among a group of Western Sandpipers, the considerably larger size was apparent. The bird appears to be a non-breeding plumaged adult. I was not able to get any pictures.

          Bob Bradley

        • Bob Bradley
          Message 4 of 15 , Aug 27, 2012
            This pond is not stagnant. It changes by the day. Today I scanned the peeps and one larger bird, expecting to see the Dunlin again. But this bird had long greenish yellow legs, a Stilt Sandpiper. It appeared to be a nonbreeding plumaged adult.

            Bob Bradley
            gj
            Message 5 of 15 , Aug 27, 2012

              Bob, great bird for that little pond!  Are you keeping a separate bird list for that pond, or the several ponds in that area?  If so I’d love a copy!  Maybe it’ll pull in another Sabine’s gull, Red phalarope, or something?  BTW, RPS pond just across Redlands Parkway had several shorebirds this morning as well, peeps and a yellowlegs at least.  The gravel pit pond next to RPN pond had two Solitary sandpipers on the north end along that sand/mud bar, fussing with a lot of Solitary sandpipers.  Green Heron pond had more peeps than the other ponds combined, and yet another yellowlegs.  At Ela, the small pond that still has water and a bit of mud, held another Solitary sandpiper.

              Wondering if there are other accessible mud flats across Grand Valley, and if anyone has been checking them... thanks,

              Larry

              This pond is not stagnant. It changes by the day. Today I scanned the peeps and one larger bird, expecting to see the Dunlin again. But this bird had long greenish yellow legs, a Stilt Sandpiper. It appeared to be a nonbreeding plumaged adult.

              Bob Bradley

              gj

            • Steven Mlodinow
              Message 6 of 15 , Aug 27, 2012
                Greetings All
                Having struggled with aging Stilt Sands this time of year in eastern WA, methinks that most of the pallid birds this time of year are fading juvs. Adults tend to still show some of their breeding plumage and look a bit ragged, much like many adult humans :-)
                Steve Mlodinow
                Longmont

                Sent from my iPhone

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 3, 2013
                  The recent warming trend has opened much of this pond, and the ducks have noticed. This afternoon produced the following:

                      Canada Goose, 2
                      Gadwall, 3
                      Mallard, 15
                      Green-winged Teal, 2
                      Canvasback, 4
                      Ring-necked Duck, 32
                      Bufflehead, 2

                  Bob Bradley
                • Bob Bradley
                  Message 8 of 15 , Aug 30, 2013
                    The shorebirds are showing up. Today there were 2 Am. Avocets and 2 Greater Yellowlegs, along with 3 or 4 Western Sandpipers which have been showing up for several days.

                    Bob Bradley,
                    Gr. Jct.
                  • Bob Bradley
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 9, 2013
                      A bit late to post, but yesterday there was 1 Greater Yellowlegs and 2 Long-billed Dowitchers.

                      Bob Bradley, GJ