Baird's Sandpipers

  • Bob Bradley
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 31, 2012
      There were two at Redlands Parkway North Pond about 11:30am today.

      Bob Bradley
      Grand Junction
    • aesein.alvera
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 2, 2012
        Apologies if this one is a double post.  I tried to post it yesterday and never saw it come through, so I'm giving it another shot:

        Visited Redlands North Pond this morning (8/1) to look for the Baird's Sandpiper pair that was spotted yesterday by Bob.  As soon as I arrived I spotted the birds and snapped some pictures.  Once I got home I sat down with the book and shared the pictures with my folks and we agreed that they don't seem to be an exact match to Baird's.  I'm not 100% sure what they are though.  They seem to match some of the marks for Western Sandpiper, and one person who saw my photo online suggested juvenile Dunlin as well.

        The birds seemed to be pretty happy there so they may stick around if you want to go take a look at them!

        Here's a link to the photos:
        http://www.flickr.com/photos/58672470@N03/7695421498/in/photostream/

        Jackson Trappett
      • Jacob C. Cooper
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 2, 2012
          Jackson,

          Looking at your pictures I see a nice pair of Western Sandpipers. The bill is far too long and the breast too clean for Baird's. In addition, the hints of rufous in the plumage, lack of whitish lines on the back, and general impression of the birds all point to classic Western Sandpipers.

          Nice pictures!

          Jacob C. Cooper
          Currently in Grand Junction, CO

          --
          Jacob C. Cooper
          Northern Rockies, Idaho

        • timjvaughan@yahoo.co.uk

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 2, 2012
              Yes, I agree that they are Westerns. The photos look to be much closer than the view that I had, better lighting too. I wondered about the bill length, a little downturned too, but I guess I thought I was seeing the buffy wash across the breast.

              Bob Bradley