N. Parula in Durango 6/2/12

  • sallerton
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2012
      Thanks Riley for posting about the Northern Parula for me. As Riley mentioned, I found an adult male NORTHERN PARULA along the Animas River Trail behind Four Corners River Sports in Durango this morning. Initially, he was near the rise where there's a large culvert under the path. (I'm guessing the location was about 100 meters upstream from the parking area.) He stayed in the cottonwoods between the path and the river, working his way downstream to the parking area. In order to find the bird, it was necessary to hear him singing. He sang two songs. The first song was buzzy and somewhat similar to a Black-throated Gray Warbler's song, but with ascending notes at the end. The other song was a trill which was a bit like an Orange-crowned Warbler song. The bird sang repeatedly, but was quiet for fairly long intervals of time in between singing bouts. We were seeing the warbler up until noon today. It was fun to share the bird with the 7 local birders who rushed out to see him.
      Susan
      Susan Allerton
      Durango, CO