fox sparrows out and about

  • Dennis Garrison
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 2, 2012
      I found several fox sparrows today while trying to clean up an atlas block.  Had one sit in a snag and sing its heart out early in the morning, while several others were less visible if nearly as vocal.  Later on in the day, I found a pair feeding a chick in a willow clump at a tiny wetland, where I had previously found a Lincoln's sparrow nest, although in searching the clump today I found three nests, not just two.  Also found nesting song sparrows, Lincoln's sparrows, a mountain chickadee, and robins.  Tanagers and lots of robins building nests, a late dusky grouse male strutting in the road (one of the birds I hadn't been able to find previously), and one turkey feather, but no turkeys.  Hmmmm.  Probably would have done better had I not left the binocs at home, tho.

      And then came the lightning.

      Dennis Garrison
      Paonia