Acorn Woodpecker, Yellow-throated Vireo & Summer Tanager

    Message 1 of 1 , May 21 10:12 PM
    Greetings,
    In route as well as returning home from the CFO Convention in Trinidad, Kim Potter, Brenda Wright and myself worked on three atlas blocks in the San Luis Valley.  This morning while working the Blanca Block we found a Acorn Woodpecker on the west side of Smith Reservoir about 200 yards north of the rest room.  This may very well be the first Acorn Woodpecker found in the San Luis Valley.
    A few minutes before the woodpecker was found an orange colored tanager was found along the drainage at below the west end of the dam.  After a careful study of the tanager in a scope it was determined to be a Summer Tanager, first year male.
    Leaving the Blanca Block after three and 1/2 hours of atlasing and 60 species the three of us traveled west and then north to Russell Lakes SWA parking lot along US-285 north of Monte Visa about 20 miles.  This was our last lunch site and as soon as we sat down to feed Kim Potter looked up in the narrowleaf cottonwoods and stated, look at this vireo with a very yellow throat.  Yes, it was a Yellow-throated Vireo, the third good find of the morning.
    Rule of thumb!  If you can't find good birds then hang around friends that can, like Kim and Brenda and work atlas blocks.  All three birds are first county bird records, Acorn Woodpecker and Summer Tanager for Costilla and Yellow-throated Vireo for Saguache counties.

    We had a great time at the convention and saw many great birds.  However, the best birds were today.  I have attached photos of the Acorn Woodpecker and the Yellow-throated Vireo.
    Good birding,
    Kim, Brenda and Coen