Re: [wsbn] A new species?

  • Rick Harner
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 240 KB
    I have seen and have picture of a goose in a previously used great horned owl nest which was formerly a collapsed magpie nest at Chatfield State Park.

    Rick

    From: jimlef@...
    Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 18:55:11 -0600
    Subject: [wsbn] A new species? [2 Attachments]

    [Attachment(s) from Jim Le Fevre included below] Doing some raptor surveys along Loutsenhizer Arroyo between Olathe and
    Montrose I observed something I had never seen before. Surveying along
    the western side of the arroyo, coming to a wall of adobe that protruded
    into the arroyo, I could just make out the ends of some sticks on what
    looked to be a small ledge on an otherwise vertical wall. I couldn't see
    around the wall to glimpse the entirety of what I was sure was a raven
    nest. I would have to go around to the east side to get a good solid
    look. On the eastern side of the arroyo, I relocated the nest and sat
    down on the edge of the arroyo to see who might be home. Now, we have
    all heard of duck hawks and chicken hawks, but has anyone heard of a
    goose hawk? Yep, a goose sitting in a stick nest about 35 feet off the
    ground. What a completely ridiculous and intensely funny sight! So, if
    anyone else has encountered this phenomena, share your story. I am
    curious about other cliff dwelling geese. And always keep your eyes
    wide open for the wonders that you will see! And now the pictures....

    Jim Le Fevre
    Paonia, Colorado

  • Tadvick, Kathleen
    Message 2 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012

      I observed one in 2003 in an old heron’s nest (60 feet up) near Ridgeway State Park along the highway.

      Thanks for sharing the pictures!

      Kathleen Tadvick

      Education & Hunter Outreach Coordinator, NW Region

      Colorado Parks and Wildlife

      711 Independent Avenue

      Grand Junction, CO 81505

      970.255.6181

      970.255.6111 (fax)

    • Rick Harner
      Message 3 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012
      • 1 Attachment

      To: wsbn@yahoogroups.com

      Message 4 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012
        Several years ago, my husband and I saw a goose nesting in a collapsed magpie nest very high up in one of the trees along the entrance to the Rifle rest area.  I took several pictures at the time, but would be hard put to find them now.  We were both very surprised to say the least.

        Ann Knutson
        Cedaredge

      • Ann Knutson
        Message 5 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012