Re: [wsbn] A new species? [2 Attachments]

  • Terry Meyers
    Message 1 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012
      I have also encountered geese in raptor or raven nests several times, including on Strawberry Creek west of Meeker (Rio Blanco Co), in Unaweep Canyon (Mesa Co), and the encounter with Mike Grode on the Little Snake River in Moffat County.

      Terry Meyers

      On Thu, Apr 5, 2012 at 6:55 PM, Jim Le Fevre <jimlef@...> wrote:

      [Attachment(s) from Jim Le Fevre included below]

      Doing some raptor surveys along Loutsenhizer Arroyo between Olathe and
      Montrose I observed something I had never seen before. Surveying along
      the western side of the arroyo, coming to a wall of adobe that protruded
      into the arroyo, I could just make out the ends of some sticks on what
      looked to be a small ledge on an otherwise vertical wall. I couldn't see
      around the wall to glimpse the entirety of what I was sure was a raven
      nest. I would have to go around to the east side to get a good solid
      look. On the eastern side of the arroyo, I relocated the nest and sat
      down on the edge of the arroyo to see who might be home. Now, we have
      all heard of duck hawks and chicken hawks, but has anyone heard of a
      goose hawk? Yep, a goose sitting in a stick nest about 35 feet off the
      ground. What a completely ridiculous and intensely funny sight! So, if
      anyone else has encountered this phenomena, share your story. I am
      curious about other cliff dwelling geese. And always keep your eyes
      wide open for the wonders that you will see! And now the pictures....

      Jim Le Fevre
      Paonia, Colorado

    • Linda Powers
      Message 2 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012
        I too have seen the wonderful Cottonwood
        Goose
        She was sitting almost at treetop on a raptor
        Nest in. Cottonwood off hwy 50 just outside
        Cimmeron

        Sent from my iPhone

[...]

      • Dennis Garrison
        Message 3 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012
          I have seen a goose in a red-tailed nest out towards the trap club in Cortez in the past.  Big stick nest in a cottonwood.  Pic link:

          http://i283.photobucket.com/albums/kk296/Paoniabirds/2010/P1030460lc.jpg

          Dennis Garrison

          To: wsbn@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012
          • 1 Attachment
          • 240 KB
          I have seen and have picture of a goose in a previously used great horned owl nest which was formerly a collapsed magpie nest at Chatfield State Park.

          Rick

          To: wsbn@yahoogroups.com

          Message 5 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012

            I observed one in 2003 in an old heron’s nest (60 feet up) near Ridgeway State Park along the highway.

            Thanks for sharing the pictures!

            Kathleen Tadvick

            Education & Hunter Outreach Coordinator, NW Region

            Colorado Parks and Wildlife

            711 Independent Avenue

            Grand Junction, CO 81505

            970.255.6181

            970.255.6111 (fax)

          • Rick Harner
            Message 6 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012
            • 1 Attachment

            To: wsbn@yahoogroups.com

            Message 7 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012
              Several years ago, my husband and I saw a goose nesting in a collapsed magpie nest very high up in one of the trees along the entrance to the Rifle rest area.  I took several pictures at the time, but would be hard put to find them now.  We were both very surprised to say the least.

              Ann Knutson
              Cedaredge

            • Ann Knutson
              Message 8 of 14 , Apr 6, 2012